ndrew Zimmern’s catering company, Passport Hospitality, serves this pork-belly version of a hot dog at AZ Canteen locations in Minneapolis. “We’ve been serving that for 15 years, and it’s probably one of our best-selling dishes in our stadium concessions,” says Zimmern. “The slaw, the bacon and the jalapeno jelly is such an awesome trio of elements that go together so well.” To make this at home, you’ll need a large chunk of slab bacon that you can cut into hefty strips. Order it ahead of time from your butcher or online (www.smokehouse.com).
Make-Ahead Tip: Prep the jelly and slaw up to 1 day ahead. Roast the bacon before guests arrive, and sear it just before serving.
Bacon Sandwich with Jalapeno Jelly and Vinegar Slaw
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar, divided
- 3 oz jalapeno peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 oz serrano peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp pectin powder
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 Tbsp cup safflower oil
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 1 lb green cabbage, finely shredded (about ½ head)
- ¾ cup grated carrot
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- 42 oz slab bacon, cut into 6 (7-oz) strips
- 6 hot dog buns
- Melted butter
Combine ¼ cup vinegar and peppers in a blender; puree. In a medium saucepan, combine puree with ¼ cup vinegar and 1½ cups sugar. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in pectin, whisking well after each addition. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat. Skim off any foam. Cool; refrigerate.
- To make slaw: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine ¾ cup vinegar, oil, 2 Tbsp sugar, maple syrup, fennel, ½ tsp salt, mustard and celery seed; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Cool and refrigerate. In a large serving bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, parsley and 1½ tsp salt. Add ½ cup dressing; toss to combine. Add more dressing, if needed, but slaw shouldn’t be soggy.
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Place bacon on a rimmed baking sheet; bake 45 minutes. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat; sear bacon 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Split buns, leaving them hinged on 1 side. Brush on all sides with butter. Toast or griddle buns. Divide bacon among toasted buns. Spread each with about 2 Tbsp jalapeño jelly. Top each with slaw.