- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce leaves and ketchup, optional
- Shape beef into eight thin patties. Top four patties with cheese, onion and jalapenos. Top with remaining patties; press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 8-9 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns. If desired, serve with toppings.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1 burger: 665 calories, 37g fat (16g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 55g protein.