Now I know this isn’t anything new as these things have been around I swear forever. It’s one of those dishes that no one ever thinks to make when going to a party, picnic or get together because they think it’s “too simple”.
Most are afraid that people will look down upon this for something so basic but yet I can tell you one this for certain. This is always, ALWAYS the first dish to go on a table. It’s unpretentious and innocent. This is what most think a child would eat and they are right. But put this on a table with a group of adults and watch them tear this up!
Now you make these for a playoff game and put it on the table with the Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Pizza Puffs, Man Candy, Sriracha Glazed Bacon Onion Rings, and your Italian Rockets and this will be on of the first to go.
Why? It’s fun, it’s ON A STICK and they are delicious! Dude, seriously it’s ON…A…FRIGGEN STICK! When you’re done you can have sword fights. LOL Okay fine, you may not act 7 when eating this as I did but they are still fun!
What prompted me to even make this recipe is I had been craving pickles – actually we both were. Now my favorite is bread and butter style to which I eat them almost every day where Mr. Fantabulous loves baby dill.
So while I was at the store I picked him up a jar. Along with that, I bought some ham, cheese, and tortillas. I had initially planned on just making a simple wrap for lunch for me.
Fast forward to about an hour later where I’m home, groceries are put away and my stomach starts to grumble. See I got sidetracked and forgot to eat. Eh, no biggie – I can always stand to lose more weight.
I grabbed the stuff to make my wrap out of the fridge when I spied the jar of pickles next to the vat of cream cheese. Yes, I say vat as I buy 3lbs about every 2 weeks. Mr. Fantabulous is on a MAJOR bagels kick and I go through a dozen a week for him.
It was then that I got reminded of this little diddy and immediately I did a flashback to our friend’s Christmas party. Tons of food (god I love having fellow Foodie friends!) and someone had brought these as well. Amongst the fresh pizzas, shrimp, bbq chicken, wings, dips, chips, desserts and so forth THIS was the dish that went first.
With these, you don’t want the spears (that are already pre-cut). You want a full dill pickle. And even if you love those baby gherkins, don’t use them on this.
I personally found them to be too bitter but then again I don’t like them that much. Yeah I know, I’m weird like that. I WISH someone would make a full bread and butter pickle that isn’t cut like how the whole dill ones are but they don’t have them out here in the ‘burgh. That’s a shame because I would SOOOOOOOOOO annihilate them puppies!
So the next time you’re invited to a get-together, having a girl’s night, hosting a poker game or just because it’s Tuesday and you really don’t want to cook, make these! I’m telling you, for something so simplistic they will surely rock your world! And yes put them on a stick!
- 6 – 10” round tortilla shells, softened
- 12 slices Virginia baked ham (roughly 10” round if possible)
- 6 slices large round Colby Cheese, sliced (10” round if possible – if not, double up on your cheese)
- 6–8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 12 baby whole dill pickles (about 1 jar, 32 ounces) drained and dried
- Decorative Skewers
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and mix until soft and creamy. You want it spreadable.
- Lay 1 tortilla shell flat and spread a thin layer of cream cheese over top it.
- Place 2 slices of ham on top of that.
- Place 1 slice of cheese over that.
- Place 2 pickles end to end and roll up the tortilla tightly.
- Cover with plastic wrap, securing snuggly and chill for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and cut with a serrated knife into 1/2” slices.
- Insert a skewer through the pinwheel but not going all the way through the other side.
- Serve and enjoy!